Friday, February 5, 2010

Things I'm loving


A few things I'm into right now:

1. Drinking jasmine tea all day. Either green or white jasmine tea. It's delicious and feels completely cleansing. I feel so much better when I drink this instead of coffee. Don't get me wrong, I still love my coffee! (Had a grande skinny cinnamon dolce latte today!), but the tea is so great to sip on all day. Added benefit, filling up on tea keeps me from mindless snacking :)

2. The library. I can't imagine ever buying a book again! I make a trip every week and stock up on books. I'm not into reading anything heavy right now, so its mind candy girly books that keep me entertained when Avery is sleeping. I feel a lot better about this than watching TV all day and the best part is, it's free!

3. Researching photographers. I want to get Avery's pics professionally taken and there are so many great photographers in Austin. Still debating if we can afford to shell out the cash or not, but I really want it done. If anyone has opinions on whether or not professional pics are worth it and/or when would be the best age to do them, let me know.

4. Facebook stalking. I don't think I need to say more on this. I know we all do it :)

5. An outing a day. Even if I don't "need" to go anywhere, I must get out of the house. Avery seems to do so much better in the evenings if we have had an outing. If she's anything like me, the day is just brighter when we are out and about. Sometimes we just go to Whole Foods and walk around. Anything to get us out of the house!

6. Avery. I know everyone thinks their baby is adorable, but I REALLY think she's amazing! It's like I never get sick of hanging out with her. I wake up everyday just looking forward to seeing her. Of course there are times when I need a break, that usually comes around 7 or 8 when Kyle is just getting home and I need 10 minutes alone. He's good at helping with that :) Anyhow, the two of us are having the best time and everyday seems to be a new adventure!

6 comments:

  1. Love what your are loving! Especially #6;) I really like the library but I love owning the books I have read b/c I like having my own library...so silly, I know, but for my long drives the library is great for books on tape. I just have to buy the book after.
    Photographers...recently, the only professional baby pics I see (which have been a lot, oddly) are by people who have gobs of money (not that many) or who have friends who are professionals and the pros will do it for free so they can use the pics to build their profile (so many people but maybe that is our location?). I'm not sure how much photographers are but it seems like you are taking pretty good pictures yourself:) But this is a personal decision and if you feel they are important than you do what you got to do! If you search Brayden you will find my friend's nephew...very cute! These are pro picks by a friend who is building her site...photosbytaryn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Rachel! I think you and Avery are going to have a very close mother/daugther relationship, which I LOVE! Breanna had a good idea about finding someone who is starting up their photography business. Could be something to look in to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might check out this tea drinking business. I've tried to give up my cherry coke, but I am a horrible quitter.

    We wanted to do 3 month, 6 months, 9 month, 1 year, 18 month, etc photos for Jocelyn. That just didn't happen. We had her 3 month ones done at the studio on base (while visiting Hawaii), which we thought was going to be cheap, but we spent like $120, and I wouldn't even consider them professional, though they turned out adorable.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=3969092&id=583215249
    For her 6 month ones, I had a friend in Japan who was starting up a photography business on base because there was no where to get pictures done over there. She ended up not being as talented with a camera as she claimed, and I didn't order is pictures from her (you can see that she tagged me in a couple of them on my Facebook. :(
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=30244810&op=12&o=global&view=global&subj=583215249&id=1552470972&fbid=1088233616708
    I did a 9 month photo shoot on my living room floor with the rug up as a background, and was quite pleased with the (free) result. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=3965137&id=583215249
    I never ended up doing 1 year or 18 month photos.
    We had expensive professional (Glen McDowell - $450) maternity photos taken when I was pregnant with Jocelyn.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=152317&id=583215249#!/photo.php?pid=5177882&id=583215249
    He also did my pin-ups ($300). http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=173286&id=583215249&saved#!/photo.php?pid=5177920&id=583215249
    I LOVE him and would love to have him take pictures of all my kids every 3 months forever. But, that is just way too ridiculous. We did the maternity shoot at the place on base this time (the same place we did JJ's 3 months shots). http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=173286&id=583215249&saved#!/photo.php?pid=4186981&id=583215249
    That was $150 because we did family ones too. We did a couple of 18 month Jocelyn ones, but none of them turned out well enough to spend money on.

    I've done ones at Walmart before, that turned out just as nice, for like $8.

    I know this is a long comment, and I'm overly self promoting with all the links, but I'd suggest that you do the professional ones of the whole family maybe once a year, and do the every 3 month Avery ones at Walmart for one of their cheap packages. She is so adorable, that it doesn't matter if you spend $10 or $1000...the pictures will turn out great. I love my G-MC-D photos. But, it is a rip off when you can good pictures for so much cheaper! With the amount of kids I plan on having, I have a feeling we will be doing many Wal-Mart $7.99 packages!

    Moving on...I need to do the outing a day! I try to take Jocelyn to the park on the days that I have nothing else planned, but I stayed in my pjs all day today. :(

    If you can't tell by my super long comments. I love reading your blogs, and look forward to updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys! Good suggestions on the subject of photography. I just might do the cheap walmart photos and see what they look like. Also, I'm going to take her to the park on a warmer day and see if I can get some fun outdoor shots in the grass. Oh she is going to get sick of me playing paparazzi! Hey if anyone has fun book suggestions send them my way. Breanna, I have finished the Stephanie Plum series...very sad. I feel the same way I felt after Sex and the City ended :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read any Sophie Kinsella books? The whole shopaholic series is cute, and so are her other ones. I always love Nora Roberts, and it is hard to run out of her books. I own like 40 of them, and I know I don't even have them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read all of Sophie Kindsella, love them! I've never read Nora Roberts, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete