Monday, February 8, 2010

It's about time...

It's about time that a write about the thing that has taken up much of my time for the past 3 1/2 months. Not Avery, well not directly Avery. Breastfeeding. It's something that I was determined to do ever since I found our we were having a baby. Being someone who is fairly concerned with proper nutrition and being married to someone whose career includes educating athletes about appropriate nutrition, my main motivation to make breastfeeding work was to avoid giving her the synthetic ingredients of formula. I wanted her diet to remain as pure as possible for as long as possible. I figured she will have the rest of her life to consume processed foods like we do, and this would be the only time in her life where her diet could be completely what nature intended it to be. My other motivation was monetary. I'm saving around $100 a month by not using formula, with our budget that amount makes a huge difference.

Anyhow, I want to reflect on my feelings about breastfeeding now that I'm a few months into the whole thing. I had no idea what an impact it would have on my daily life nor did I realize what a special experience it would be for Avery and I. Supposedly when a baby nurses, a certain hormone is released in the mother which causes nurturing and loving feelings towards the baby. The baby in return knows that mother is a source of food, comfort, and love. The first month or so my days were consumed with feeding. Now it's just part of our day and we can go anyplace without thinking about what to bring or when I might have to feed her. As long as we're together we've got all the tools!

I know breastfeeding isn't for everyone and I think that is great. That's why parenting is such a unique experience, you get to do things your way for the first time in life. Not everyone can or wants to breastfeed, which I totally get. It is time consuming and if I had to go back to work I probably wouldn't stick with it. Pumping just doesn't give you the same satisfaction as cuddling with your baby while you know she is getting everything she needs to grow right from you. So, my final thoughts are that breastfeeding has and continues to be worth it to me. It's something that Avery and I do together, and it's something that only lasts a short amount of time in the grand scheme of life. It has allowed the two of us to develop a closeness that I think I would have missed out on otherwise. It does take time, but these days I'm not worried about racing against the clock!

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I like this post. You're lucky you've not really had any problems with the breastfeeding. From what I've heard it can be really difficult for some moms. I know my mom had trouble with me, and she didn't even breastfeed my brother because it just wasn't happening for her. I'm not sure what I want to do whenever I have a baby. I think I'll just wait and find out how I feel, but I think I may do the breastfeeding thing the first month or so and then slowly switch to formula since I'll have to go back to work. Boo! But, I'm getting ahead of myself - not even engage yet Kaysie!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a very unnatural thing at first, I think every mom has to go in with an open mind and see how it goes. I'm really lucky I had no problems, and clearly by Avery's constant growth she seems to have no problems getting enough to eat :) You'll know when the time comes what is right for you, and everyone is different and different things work for different folks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one:) It will be so interesting to me what I end up doing... Of course I have a plan in my head but we'll see. I definitely plan on breastfeeding for the first few months because of the nutrition and bonding experience so I hope that I get used to that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this. I hear so many different views on breast feeding on diaperswappers.com because I am addicted to the forums and the drama that happens there. There are a bunch of judgmental women that comment in there, and it's nice to read this, knowing that you aren't writing to impress all the crazy moms out there. I appreciate you sharing your honest thoughts. It's like a breath of fresh air. :)

    There were three motivators for me to breast feed. The "what's best for your baby" nutritional factor, the saving money factor, and the shrinking uterus factor!!! I've heard people accuse non-breastfeeding mothers of being selfish, but part of my reasons FOR breastfeeding are selfish. Breastfeeding burns lots of calories AND causes is your uterus to contract down to it's normal size much faster. My midwife even told me that if you don't breastfeed, your uterus will never get back to it's original size. I love the bond, that I've shared with my kids, and how easy it is to feed them without having to prepare a bottle or anything. It's just easier for me, and it has so many other benefits, I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it is for those moms that try and have difficulties. I dried up at 6 months with Jocelyn because she was sleeping 12-14 hours a night and I wasn't pumping enough to keep my production up. That other six months of formula was worth about $800. I had a break down in the grocery store when I had to start buying it. Sam sleeps just as much, and I can feel my supply dwindling, so I drink tons of water and pump a lot. I want to make it past six months this time. I hope you continue to get joy out of the connection you share with Avery during her feedings. Has she started to bite you yet? Jocelyn never did, but Sam has been doing it to me for the last week. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She has not started biting, but she does start "playing" when she's done. She will look up at me and smile and then latch back on, look up and smile then latch on, etc. Silly girl. I take her off at that point even though it's really cute, I don't want any bad habits to start!

    ReplyDelete