Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

First of all, I am not Catholic so me participating in Lent is more of a self challenge than anything else. Anyhow, I decided to give up something that I do that has really been bothering me lately. Mindless TV. I don't have any desire to watch day time TV, I seem to stay really busy! It's the evening TV that gets me! About 5:30-6:00, I start to get a little bored, a little antsy, and I'm looking for some adult interaction. Since Kyle doesn't come home until 7:00-8:00, I've been filling those lonely hours with mindless TV (Food Network, TLC, HGTV).

This would not bother me if I hadn't noticed Avery zoning out to the TV with me. She can't help it, big, shiny, bright box that makes noise! But I hope she's a kid who enjoys reading, playing outside, make believe, and playing games rather than watch ingTV. Don't get me wrong, TV certainly has its place and I enjoy watching a classic movie or a good game more than anythng. I just want our family to watch TV mindfully rather than out of boredom.

So, I give up my evening TV and will spend it reading books to Avery, taking her for walks, etc. I'm still allowed to watch our regular shows and games (The Office, MvF) as well as shows Kyle wants to watch together. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. This is a good one! I couldn't do it:)

    Not Catholic either but I regularly participate in Lent:) This year I wanted to do something that could lead to a lifestyle change...so since I have the carbohydrate cholesterol issue and my doctor said to cut my bread, pizza and pasta in half (I'm Italian so this is ridiculous! but I want to be healthy) so I am not eating any of those things during my workday lunches. A very odd Lent since I have such particulars and I am not completely giving up something but I think if I can do this I will learn how to cut those things in half.

    Sorry to lay that all out there but I hadn't verbalized it to anyone yet so now I feel more liable:)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as long as The Office made the cut you'll be fine =) I'm a big food network watcher - its definitely my fallback in most cases. I love to cook though, so for me its less mindless and more inspiration than anything. TLC is more of a guilty pleasure channel though, unless they're having one of those crazy tree people shows - not so much of a pleasure in that case, but intriguing nevertheless. Carlos can't stand it when my mom and I are watching one of those specials about people with strange deformities or diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    you are so right! I catch myself zoning out on the TV. It's hard when you're home all day with a baby. I like to have something on in the background but I don't want to teach Ben that the TV should be on all day. Good for you for giving it up for lent!
    Thank you for your sweet comment. We are just living and loving the hand we were dealt. I know you know what it's like. I'm so glad you are all doing well, Avery is adorable!

    ReplyDelete