Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Weekend wrap up

**This post is kind of all over the place...kind of a glimpse into my running inner commentary!

We had a terrific weekend. Saturday, Avery and I went to a chocolate festival while Kyle was at the men's basketball game. CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL, need I say more?!

Sunday, Kyle surprised me with tickets to John Mayer on March 8th. Um, not going to lie, I kind of like John Mayer! We've seen him 3 times already and I loved every second of every concert. I think of his songs when I think of the soundtrack of my life. Definitely my good memories of adult life are to the tune of his melodies :) Summers in Davis, Charleston beaches, Paris winter, all spent with my buddy :) (For those of you who don't know, Kyle is buddy to me). Anyhow I am super excited for the concert. Not so excited to leave Avery for the first time (other than with Kyle), but I know she will be in good hands. Sara will take care of her, hopefully Avery is a good girl....

Also, this was our 8th Valentine's Day together! I feel like our first Valentine's Day was just yesterday! Sophomore year at Davis. He had a test that morning so I wasn't expecting much out of the day. I woke up to roses and a card at my door that said to be ready at 11:00 for a surprise. He picked me up and we drove to the SF zoo! Spent the day hanging out at the zoo and then went to Rainforest Cafe for dinner. Sounds so silly, but if you knew Kyle when he was 19, this was a big step for him! He is someone who does not make rash decisions and carefully invests his time whole heartedly into only things that are very important to him. Putting that much thought and effort into a day planned just for us made me realize that we might be on to something special :)

I also went to Bikram on Sunday, which I will say has been a little like going home for me! I used to do Bikram (hot yoga) in Charleston a lot and then I started doing it in Austin, but then got pregnant. Can't do Bikram when preggo or you might cook your baby! For Christmas Kyle got me 25 classes at my favorite yoga studio in Austin and also agreed to watch Avery during the class. (I cried when I opened this present, it meant so much to me that he knew exactly what I needed but would never do it for myself. Guess that's why we work together!) So a Valentine's Day yoga class was perfect! We stayed in that night and ate lobster tails, asparagus, beef bouignon, and chocolate fondue. We watched Julia and Julia which must have inspired us to eat all of that yummy food. We both love that movie, yes even Kyle. It involves good food and Paris, what more could we ask for in a movie?!

Monday I took Avery to the mall so that I could get a haircut. Whenever I try something new like this, I hold my breath because I'm never sure how it will work out. I figured if I walked around the mall long enough, she would fall asleep and then sleep right through the haircut...well she did fall asleep, but at the first snip she woke up! Now, getting a haircut is not something that you can stop halfway through! It's go all the way or go home looking awful! I held my breath the entire haircut just waiting for a meltdown, but she was an angel. Intrigued by what was happening to mommy and smiling for anyone who stopped to see the sweet baby parked next to the salon chair! We made it through and I feel so much better after a trim.

Funny story, on the way out of the mall we were riding the elevator down (never thought about always needing an elevator when you have a stroller, complicates things just a bit when you're shopping!). An older lady is riding with us and she looks at Avery and says, "I see that you have a very nice big sister taking you shopping!". Before I could register what she said the doors opened and we were walking out. What the heck? Did she just say I was Avery's big sister? Now, I know I'm kind of young to have a baby, but really?! I'm not that young!! Do I look like a teen mom?! I really don't think so, but obviously she did! When I got home I told Kyle and I don't think he knew how to react. He said, "Are you insulted or complimented?". Poor guy, this could have been one of those trick situations girls put boys in! I was insulted of course, I am her mama and proud to be! Don't judge me lady! In hindsight what does it matter....just a funny thing to rant about :)

Oh, and if you're reading this please keep Avery in your thoughts and prayers this week. We go for another x-ray on Friday and let's hope the brace comes off!

5 comments:

  1. Awww! Kyle plans such sweet surprises for you! That's the best when they're surprises. Poor Kevin, I always tell him what I want before he has a chance to think of things on his own. I should work on that...
    That story about the lady who thought you were Avery's sister is hilarious! I think part of it may be that you don't even look like you had a baby less than four months ago Rachel! You look absolutely amazing and I'm sure she thought you couldn't have possibly birthed a child in that little amount of time and still look as good as you do. Keep up the good work! Pretty soon you'll love comments like that when she gets to be a teenager! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, first...I kind of messed up the first couple of sentences and read it as "Saturday we went to the men's basketball game. CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL, need I say more!?" See how I thought you could have been refering to the game? My jaw dropped as I was smiling but then realized that you probably didn't mean that so I read it again...haha! You went to a chocolate festival! My mind some times;)

    I can not believe that it has already been a month! I told you time would fly! Avery is always in my thoughts:) but I will be sending lots of prayers on Friday! Let me know how it goes, either way! But I have a good feeling!

    Take the age thing as a compliment...you know you're a mom but you are a hot young thing so it's hard to believe you had a baby! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 - Ha @ Breanna.
    #2 - Chocolate Festival = Me very jealous.
    #3 - You and Kyle sound like a perfect match!
    #4 - Don't you love it when babies do exactly what you want? It makes me so proud, to expect something bad to happen, but for them to end up being angels. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right!
    #5 - Was that lady snarky when she made her comment about being Avery's sister? Either way it is better than what happened to me three years ago. I had just turned 23 and my friend Melynda was about to turn 21. I am only two years and three months older than she is. I took her to the hospital at 3 am because she was having stomach pain. They did an emergency appendectomy, and I stayed with her at the hospital all night (our husbands were at sea). As I was helping her hobble to the car later that afternoon, some guy asked me if my daughter was going to be okay! :( Then, a week later, I was subbing a Spanish class at the high school and some kids thought I was a new student. So, I either look 40 or 14. Hmmm. I'm just saying, that I would take it as a compliment! It's better to be thought her sister, than her grandmother!
    #6 - I'll be praying that Avery's x-ray comes back beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I forgot to mention that Avery has been in my prayers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the prayers everyone!

    Yes, being her sister is much better than grandmother!

    Breanna, thank you for re-reading my first two sentences!! So not what I had in mind when I wrote them!

    Thanks Kaysie for the compliment! Some days I feel good, some days I dont get out of sweats and feel sloppy! I dont get to do full on shower, dress up, and makeup everyday but that's a trade off I'm willing to make to hang out with Avery!

    ReplyDelete