Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Moving on


Reflecting on our time in Austin has been tough to do since we've had the major task of moving with about ten days notice. We are so lucky and so excited to get to Maryland, but i feel like I need to describe what I gained from Austin and the things that i will miss while I am still here.

When I think of our two years here it has been a serious adventure that has flown by. Obviously my favorite thing about Austin is that it brought us Avery. When we first arrived here, I got a job that I ended up loving but I was truly unhappy. I loved living in Charleston and somewhere in transition I lost my joy. I think that is one reason we decided to have Avery, both Kyle and I felt that something was missing in our lives. We wanted excitement, a purpose, something bigger than ourselves. We wanted, we were blessed, she came, we all go.

I will mostly miss the wonderful friendships I've made here in Austin. Truly some of the most generous and kind people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. The hard part is that it is really hard for me (and keeps getting harder) to meet people, form great friendships, knowing that I will have to say goodbye at some point. That is the nature of Kyle's work and to look at it positively, I meet wonderful people along our travels who truly help make me a better person in so many ways.

I will also miss football seasons, wearing burnt orange, Torchy's tacos, Central Market, walks to our park, Avery's awesome doctors, and Quack's coffee.

I will not miss Austin summers, Austin traffic, Austin roads and lights, our current apartment, and distance from either coast.

So looking forward to Kyle finally being able to do what he loves and is really good at, being so close to DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, and NYC, four true seasons (white christmas!), and Maryland sports! This will be a new phase of life for us with so much to look forward to.

I have a feeling we have not seen the last of Austin, but until then, Maryland here we come!

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand the hardships of making new friends every couple of years (it was especially hard to meet people when we arrived here and I had four kids all day every day from the day we arrived)...but then I think of how many wonderful people I know all over the globe and it makes me really happy and grateful! I miss some of them a lot, but (thank God for facebook) we are still just a phone call or a mouse click away!

    I'm so glad that you guys are going to be able to settle down in Maryland for a while, and that you can plan a little bit for the next stage in your life now...but I am SAD that I will not get to meet Avery when I am visiting San Antonio next month!

    I hope the move goes smoothly and that you meet some great people to help you get acclimated to the area. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to miss getting UT stuff but am excited to start cheering for another college team...haha!:) I am so excited to come visit!

    ReplyDelete