Wednesday, March 3, 2010

4 months





Last week Avery turned 4 months. 14 lb, 7oz and 24.5 inches long. Honestly, I can't believe it's been four months, a third of an entire year! At the same time it seems like a lifetime ago that we were eating our "pregame" dinner at South Congress Cafe, about to head to the hospital. Seriously, as I wrote the post about our wedding and browsed through the pics, they seemed so empty! The pictures are missing the most important person in our lives! Funny that she was there all along we just didn't know it. Ok, before this turns too philosophical I want to write some of the things that have become true for me in the past four months as well as to share some of my favorite Avery pics from birth to four months.




*I've never experienced anything more heartbreaking and more joyful at the same time. Being a mother to Avery really makes my heart hurt when I think of each day as the last I will see her the way she is. She is growing and changing by the minute and I won't get any of these memories back. I really wish I could walk around with a video camera tied to my chest so that I can always look back and remember exactly what she was like at all of these wonderful stages. But even a camera can't capture how she feels when you hug her, how fresh she smells after a bath, how her toes curl when I try to clean out her toe jam, the way her eyes crinkle when she smiles. I have to try to etch these things into my mind. Already it's hard to remember her as a newborn, I'll never forget of course, but I'll never have that time again. If you aren't tearing up (I am near sobbing), now I'll write how joyful everyday is. My heart could not be more full each time I see that smile, hear a giggle, hear a loud shriek, see her rolling over, see her discover a new object, hoot like an owl in the stroller, fall fast asleep in her swing or carseat, and best of all everytime I can kiss her chubby cheek. The days of the future are no doubt going to be amazing with her and I look forward to her next third of a year!





*I have a pretty amazing husband. Seriously, he is a machine. He works so hard and is by far the most intelligent person I know. I love that he just looks at Avery and she bursts into a smile. I am unbelievably proud of him and believe in his talents wholeheartedly. I only hope and pray that his determination and dedication over the past two years pays off with a job that is deserving of him. He trains at a facility in Austin, check out his profile! http://www.train4thegame.com/trainer/kyle-tarp



*Laundry is a never ending battle that I will never win as long as I have to travel up and down three flights of stairs and have quarters at my disposal. Ditto for dishes as long as I don't have a dishwasher, ditto for dogs as long as I don't have a backyard.




*I used to be someone who had to workout in the morning, had to have a shower in the morning, would never leave the house without sunscreen, always brushed my teeth at least twice a day. Well, let's just say some of these things don't happen so much anymore! It seems grooming takes second place to taking care of a baby! Of all the things to sacrifice for a baby, I am willing to let this be the one to go first, which is not something I plan to continue forever. Don't get me wrong, I take a shower daily it just doesn't happen in the AM very often! I end up working out probably 3 times a week, wish that was more. The sunscreen will have to come back into my life now that warm weather is approaching and I have no excuse for the teeth brushing....! (can't believe I even admitted that but at least you all know the truth!)




*I am truly glad that at this point we don't have any doctor's appointments on the calendar for March.




*I really appreciate that our UPS guy leaves our packages at the door with two dog biscuits because I put a sign on our door asking him not to knock since our dogs are nuts! We get a lot of packages so the dogs love that he is such a nice guy.




*I enjoy online "window shopping". That is, I love going on my favorite sites and adding items to my cart. I truly have no intention of buying them, but I look at product reviews, compare prices, etc. I never complete the checkout but I have a good time imagining what it would be like if I could have bought them! Silly, I know...




*Life is happening fast. We made it through fall and winter with Avery. Spring is around the corner and I think she is going to love spending more time outside. Just in time for her to become mobile...not sure if I'm ready for that, but that's the thing about having babies...everything keeps moving forward whether you are ready or not so it's best to celebrate the progress and be happy in the present :)



Some of my favs...best to look bottom to top. If anyone knows how to arrange photos better using blogspot please let me know! Once I uploaded them I couldn't figure out how to rearrange...


































































































6 comments:

  1. Awww! I want to see you guys again before she gets any older! Oh, and I totally window-Internet-shop all the time. I pick out clothes, put them in the basket, and just imagine how good they'd all look on me, but never complete checkout. You're not alone my friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time really does fly and imagine how fast it flies for those of us who don't get to see her all the time everytime we see an update and the rare occasion we see her in person! Yes, I miss you guys, all of you!:)

    I'm a huge window-internet-shopper too:) Oh, the dollars that have racked up in my carts!

    I have always wondered about the "grooming" after having a child. I have imagined that once I have a child and become a stay at home mom that the gym would become a regular thing. Considering you have always worked out more than I have and it has lessened since Avery, I really need to reconsider my future plans:)

    I know Kyle is working so hard and I hope that he gets a job he is worthy of. I hope that it is closer to the west coast too! :) Sorry, I have to throw that in there. But wherever it is it won't be too far for me to visit b/c I definitely plan on visiting for Avery's first birthday!

    Also, do you want me to send you the first black and white pic so you have the regular size. I'm pretty sure I took that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the first if you were going from bottom to top:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Breanna if you could send that pic it would be awesome!

    As soon as Avery is old enough and a gym membersip can be worked back into our budget, the working out should become more regular!

    I am so glad I'm not the only internet window shopper! I thought this was a guilty secret I should keep! Another good thing about blogging is finding out you aren't alone out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post. I did start tearing up in that first paragraph, though, because I feel kind of guilty. I cannot treasure every little giggle and smile, and first that Sam shares with me because I have to divide my attention between his angelic amazingness and Jocelyn's 2-year-old attitudes/accomplishments. It's amazing to think about how different it was for me and her when she was Sam's age...just the two of us.

    I, too, must admit that I have let my dental hygiene slip since becoming a mom. It's gross. I got my first filling last week, and have vowed to stop skipping out on the brush/floss twice a day routine, even if I have to skip something else like washing my hair (gross too, but doesn't have very costly side effects).

    I have a dishwasher, and a laundry room (3 feet away from me), and I still don't do the dishes or the laundry like a normal person. You deserve a big high-5 for ever having clean underwear or clean dishes to eat off of! :)

    Your UPS guys sounds like a catch (as far as UPS guys go.

    Online window shopping is so much more fun than physical 'window' shopping. It's much easier to click the 'X' at the corner of the window, than to physically go hang up the dress that you just tried on (and looked great in).

    Loving the appointment free calendar!

    The photos of Avery are so beautiful. Keep them coming!

    As for working out...yeah, I can't even comment. My motivation is slipping. I hope it works out for you (no pun intended).

    Happy four months, Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God! That quote about taking four people to dinner in Kyle's training profile is so sweet. You guys are so lucky to have each other. :)

    ReplyDelete