Friday, January 15, 2010

Making a commitment

When I look back on this past year so much has changed. Living in Austin, loved my job, moved apartments, had a baby. So the last one is obviously the huge life changer and has it ever been! Actually, Kyle and I had Avery twelve weeks ago this coming Monday which I can't believe has gone by so quickly. At the same time I can't really imagine life without her. Seriously, having a baby makes you think a lot about time, but I'll save that for another post.

So, looking forward in 2010 the possibilities are endless. Kyle graduates in May, we could be moving anywhere in the country! I'm staying home with Avery and wouldn't give up a second I get to spend with her for anything. It's tough to plan our life because so much is uncertain right now. In a way that is thrilling to me but also terrifying. I try not to think about the unknown and celebrate each day with joy!

The purpose of this blog is to have a place to record and share my life experiences and to hopefully stick with it. I know, one more online profile to keep up with, but this seems like more of an appropriate place to share things that are important to me rather than facebook. Call me crazy but I don't want every random "friend" that I added five years ago to know what I'm up to on a Wednesday evening! I love fb and will continue to use it, but I'm hoping this blog is a more personal medium for me to share tidbits of life. It will likely be boring to most, hopefully interesting to some. Please comment and ask thoughtful questions!

I want to start by sharing something that I wrote a few days after I had Avery, looking back on the delivery. (Keep in mind that my hormones were a bit out of whack!)

"I swear even up to the final push the whole thing is surreal to me. I don't think I truly believed I was having a baby until she was placed on my chest. Even through more than nine months of pregnancy, a huge belly, seeing contractions on the monitor, listening to her heart beat all night and day, and being coached to push didn't prepare me or even connect me with the concept of my own baby being placed in my arms. And the overwhelming feeling that she is all mine and the joy of celebrating this tiny life that is joined with me on life's journey took my breath away. At that moment she was perfect and I am now a mother. I sobbed for a good five minutes, happy sobbing like I've never done before and probably never will again."

10-26-09 at 5:48 pm ~~ Life is good :)

Here's to 2010, keeping commitments, being a better friend, daughter, and sister, loving mother, supportive wife, and being ready for everything else that is waiting for us!

4 comments:

  1. That's what I always imagine it will be like when I have a baby. Right now I kind of get to "borrow" friends' babies and hold them for a little bit, and then give them back. But when I have my own, I can't imagine the feeling of realizing that he/she is all my very own. I'm sure it's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Miss Rachel for bringing back to that moment and putting a lump in my throat! =) That was an awesome moment!
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I don't think your blog will be boring at all. It seems as though your life has some uncertainty and surprises in the future, and I know I will be coming back to read about how it all works out!
    That feeling of holding your new baby is the best isn't it? The emotions are so unexpected because you had no way to prepare for what will actually be going through your mind when you get to look into their eyes for that first time. Let me tell you, it doesn't change with the second one. It feels new all over again. It's the best! Congrats to you on all you've accomplished in 2009, and good luck with wherever 2010 takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, you have a special gift in words. They are powerful, insightful, inspiring, humorous, and real. I look forward to your blogs. Mom

    ReplyDelete